Advice please: Should I return EM10 ii?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Masefield Contributing Member • Posts: 902
Advice please: Should I return EM10 ii?

Hi guys and girls,

I was about to buy a spare battery for my EM10 ii (Olympus brand costs £50 odd) but then saw the recent Black Friday offer from SRS Microsystems of a new EM10 ii for just £229...an absolutely phenomenal bargain!! (I've ordered from SRS Microsystems before, and they are an excellent company with excellent customer service)

Anyway, as the new camera came with the battery I was already going to buy, that meant a brand new EM10 ii effectively cost me just £179. Incredible! I love the EM10 ii so much (and have no need for a more recent/advanced camera) that I jumped on this offer to have a back-up camera for such a bargain price.

However, there are a couple of issues and I'd like your opinions as to whether I should exchange the camera for a replacement:

1) The camera "creaks" or clicks slightly when I gently squeeze the top of the grip or the area between the grip and the lens mount. My original EM10 ii is rock solid with absolutely no give or creak. Does anyone else's OMD camera creak like this? Am I being too fussy worrying about this?

2) It came with a BCS-1 charger instead of the recommended BCS-5 charger for the BLS-50 battery. I've searched around on DPReview and it seems that this charger works just as well...but officially it should have (Due to Japanese health & safety red tape) been supplied with the BCS-5 charger which has an additional layer of protection against extremely rare (practically unheard of?) over-charging issues.

3) The outer cardboard box the camera came in had been badly damaged, ripped open right across one side. The camera box inside was completely unscathed, though...so this in itself is probably nothing to worry about.

But all three of these things added together make me wonder...should I send it back for a replacement?

-- hide signature --

'Photography is not art. It's pressing buttons. People take it up because they can't draw.' Lord Snowdon

Masefield's gear list:Masefield's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +3 more
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow