Mobile studio: in doubt between Godox flashes

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
alexportrait Junior Member • Posts: 43
Mobile studio: in doubt between Godox flashes

I work mostly with studio photography. Sometimes I can host my models, but lots of time I have to travel to either their own places or other places and set up my studio there. I have a decent array of light diffusers, light stands, etc. But my light source for years have been some cheap and old Godox speedlights. They always do the job, I never felt lack of power (I never never never shoot full power) and they're very mobile. I use 2 speedlights + 3 LED panels (mostly to help focus because the speedlight doesnt have a modeling light), sometimes to add some pops of color or change background colors, and as a bonus the models like the "selfie light" lol.

I've been thinking of upgrading though. I am tired of changing AA batteries in the speedlights. I don't like that the light changes a bit as the battery starts to die and isn't consistent. I am also tired of missing flash fires. Sometimes it just makes me look unprofessional too when the shot could have been perfect but the flash didn't fire. So I'm thinking of getting a good upgrade but not sure what to get.

Godox ad200 vs ad400 vs ad600. What are your thoughts?

I think I'd like the mobility of the ad200 and the added power compared to a speedlight. I think I'd like the powerhouse of an ad400 or ad600 but they're heavy and not as mobile, I'd probably have to add another suitcase to  shoot in  locations. The ad400 sounds ideal but I'm the kind of buyer that always wants to get the best option so that's why I consider the ad600. Not sure about real life differences between them. I love the idea of them having batteries but also being able to plug in (not sure if ad200 does it).

Does anyone has any  suggestions? I'm open to anything. I considered and drooled over profoto strobes too but I don't think there's a big difference quality wise to justify the price? Just throwing it out there in case anyone wants to talk about it.

alexportrait's gear list:alexportrait's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
kli
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow