Best backpack / rucksack for hiking photographers

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Chris 222 Contributing Member • Posts: 918
Re: Best backpack / rucksack for hiking photographers

Wordfool wrote:

if I need to carry a lot of heavy gear over distance I'll stuff an ICU into a "proper" hiking pack.

Yup, TMP + ICU definitely is the best compromise. Note that this also works for smaller loads. I still smile inside when I remember the face the sales guy made when I told him that I would be using my Deuter Futura Pro 40 for BOTH hiking and trail running... LOL. I knew it worked great since I had tried with a friend's pack but the latter option had never even occurred to him (and I know for a fact that this guy uses just about everything he sells.)

Anyhow, if you cinch everything tight, that pack is super slim and light, and just as good a specialized trail running hydration pack, except much more comfy and spacious (no issue packing in your rain gear plus your photo gear there.)

I'm reminded of when, back in the day, I traveled all over the US with a heavy 65-liter Karrimor pack that would probably be considered dated by today's lightweight, TMP standards but nonetheless had a well designed and adjustable harness, hip belt and aluminum stays (molded to the shape of my back) and was staggeringly comfortable to carry, even when fully loaded.

I remember those!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow