Fuji X-T2 vs Sony A7II

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
RecklessCoding Regular Member • Posts: 290
Re: Fuji X-T2 vs Sony A7II

Eugleo wrote:

vegetaleb wrote:

Forget about the a7ii, it's not a successful camera, if you need FF then go A7iii or a used a7rii if on budget.

Both of those are out of my budget. I decided I’ll buy the Fuji now, and if I eventually start to miss the IBIS and FF, buy the A7III after 4-ish years, once the price drops.

I think, it is a good call.

Ergonomics are the most important. You are new to photography; you need a system that will encourage you shoot with it if you want to learn more. Fuji is probably the best system to learn photography, as you get a dial for each exposure value. Sure, you can adjust things with the command dials, but there is simply a feeling of control you get with Fuji's (I am new to the brand too). Also, the A7  II is just slow and non-responsive.

I suggest you not to think already about your next system. That is a recipe for disaster. While IBIS is great, I think "FF" argument about DOF is a double-edged sword. There are many situations you need more DOF; e.g. landscapes and street.

Fuji lenses are all great, you can get cheap ones like the 23mm f2 in the 400ish$ or expensive 1500$, but you have tremendous lenses between 700 and 1000$ like the 16mm f1. 4 and 16-55

Do you have any specific recommendations for cheap quality lenses? I’m eyeing the Samyang 12mm (or so) MF, which should be great for the landscapes. And I’m getting the kit zoom, of course.

The Samyang 12mm is a good lens, but manual focus. Normally, I would advice against a MF lens when you first start, but at that focal length it is hard to miss focus. Especially, as Fuji packs so many tools to help focusing with MF lenses.

If you can save up a bit, you may want to invest to a used copy of the10-24mm f/4. I only got mine a few days ago, but after a short walkaround, but I love it. My UWA experience is limited to the Olympus 9-18mm f/4-5.6, 7-14mm f/2.8, and the Nikon 16-35mm f/4. The 10-24 is somewhere between the Nikon and the Olympus 7-14mm is focal length (at the wide end), but smaller than both with a great metal-only build. Filters support is also much appreciated. My only two complains is the lack of WR and of a marked aperture ring.

RecklessCoding's gear list:RecklessCoding's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-H1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GKN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow