EOS RP or A6400 for upcoming Hawaii trip

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Canon2018 Junior Member • Posts: 38
Re: EOS RP or A6400 for upcoming Hawaii trip

I tried both cameras before and recently bought the A6400 to replace my 77D. The RP is full frame and should result in better low light images. But the Sony sensor is very good and I doubt you will see that much of a difference below ISO 3200. In addition, you can use fast primes like the Sigma 16/30/56mm 1.4 to offset the disadvantage of a smaller sensor. Paired with full frame lenses, the RP is considerably bulkier than the Sony. But for me, the most significant argument is Sony's AF System. I used the RP with the RF35mm and, being used to a dslr-system, it just was not up to shooting moving objects. The A6400, on the other hand, was the only mirrorless system that fully convinced me to get rid of my dslr camera. The AF is just incredible. As you said you want to take Pictures of your dogs, I would recommend the Sony, they even included animal eye AF. I am not so happy with the lens choices for the Sony system, though. I use it with the 18-135 kit zoom, which is decent but I am reluctant to spend $700 or more for a 10-18 wide angle lens.

Canon2018's gear list:Canon2018's gear list
Sony a6400 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow