Does technique change with advances in cameras?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 6,991
Re: most definitely

Tuonov2 wrote:

When I shot motorsports in the 70's and 80's with MF gear you would pre-focus on a certain point and press the shutter when the vehicle was at that point, if something noteworthy happened somewhere other than that point you would be scrambling to try and focus on the action and generally miss the shot, especially if it was a moving sequence. If you look at any historically famous action sequences you will see most of the shots out of focus, even from the very best photographers of the day.

With the quality of AF we now have you can shoot wherever you want and capture a long sequence all tack sharp without any dramas, isn't technology fantastic.

+1

In the film days, I never had an autofocus SLR camera.

So that affected what types of shots I'd go after.

When I get into dSLR cameras, and had access to AF, it expanded the type of shots I could go after and . . . with the expectation that I'd get a relatively large number of keepers.

I currently do a lot of shooting of my daughters' cheer teams.

If I had manual focus, I would be limited to how many shots I could get.

But with AF, I can expect to walk away with 20-30 keepers from a routine that is less than 2 minutes. If I pushed myself, I could probably have 30-50 keepers.

And then . . . going from the 11 AF-point system of my Nikon D5100 to the 39 AF-point system of my Nikon D7000, that again expanded the types of shots I could go after. This included indoor sports shots where the subject was not centered. With the 39 AF-points, I could point to the athlete I wanted in focus, and then recompose to get the shot I wanted, even if that meant the main subject was not in the center of the viewfinder.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow