Going from Mojave/Lightroom 6 to Catalina/Lightroom Clasic

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 12,039
Re: Going from Mojave/Lightroom 6 to Catalina/Lightroom Clasic

digigobler wrote:

I've read as many threads on this subject but haven't found one that specifically addresses this particular circumstance.

I’m currently using Lightroom 6 and Photoshop 6 on a 15" 2017 MacBook Pro loaded with OS 10.14 Mojave. I will be buying a new 16" MacBook Pro that will be preloaded with OS 10.15 Catalina.

I know that the 32 bit application manager(s) associated with Lightroom 6 and Photoshop 6 will not work on OS 10.15 Catalina. I intend to purchase a Lightroom Classic and Photoshop subscription from Adobe (sigh).

I intend to migrate my data from the old MacBook Pro to the new MacBook Pro via Time Machine after I upgrade the old MacBook Pro to OS 10.15 Catalina. I'm told that migration via Time Machine requires that both computers have the same operating system for it to work correctly.

That's news to me. I'm pretty sure I've migrated from TM when upgrading macOS, though I've also migrated from a clone.

My two questions are::

Since the Lightroom 6 and Photoshop 6 application(s) manager run 32 bit and the uninstaller application will presumably not work under Catalina, do I need to uninstall Lightroom 6 and Photoshop 6 while in Mojave BEFORE upgrading the 15" MBP to Catalina?

After I switch to subscription based Lightroom Classic will all previous rendered images from Lightroom 6 appear as they did before in the (new) Lightroom Classic Library and Develop Modules? Will the Lightroom Classic (subscription) application recognize the .xmp side car files created with Lightroom 6?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers.

Steve

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +47 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow