Does technique change with advances in cameras?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 19,308
Re: Does technique change with advances in cameras?

Marek M wrote:

I guess I have to re-think my ways. 10 years ago , an auto ISO would be a bummer , but now, with relatively clean ISO 6400, and usable ISO 12800, things are different.

So, time to re-think my habits. and technique. All owing to better cameras.

The biggest change to my shooting technique came from realizing that I could maximize IQ by putting as much light on the sensor as possible and switching from fixed ISO (and variable exposure) to Auto ISO (with the max exposure for the situation) when lighting varies from shot to shot. That drove me to switch brands to get a camera with Auto ISO in M (and exposure compensation) and I've never looked back.

That was about 7 years ago (bought a D7000). I'd shoot up to ISO 6400 with that camera with no worries. I've realized over the years that stuff I shoot handheld in low light doesn't need to be printed any larger than 8x10. Between the lighting and subject matter, I just don't shoot anything in high ISO that demands a big print. Given that, I've now shot my D7500 at ISO 12800 and been pleasantly surprised by the results. I also shoot my old RX100 up to ISO 6400. (That camera doesn't offer Auto ISO in M, but I can shoot in S mode in low light, let the camera open the aperture and not have to worry about having enough DOF).

Image stabilization definitely changed my shooting technique. I shot Minolta before going digital, so never had a stabilized lens. (My first DSLR was a KM 7D with IS). It's made me less likely to carry a tripod, so pictures suffer at times, but more likely to get good shots at times that I wouldn't have had a tripod anyway.

I had a mirrorless camera for a while. Having a silent shutter was nice - that let me feel less conspicuous shooting at quiet events, but I never had a lens with that camera that made it worthwhile. Probably the thing I liked best about the mirrorless camera was the virtual horizon in the viewfinder. Not only did it help me avoid tilting shots, the up/down tilt was handy for avoiding keystoning and prompted me to shoot some scenes (like an indoor shot in historic house) from something closer to waist level. But ultimately, I was fairly unhappy with the whole kit and sold it off and went back to my DSLR.

So on the whole, I think my current shooting technique was pretty well established about 7 years ago.

- Dennis
--
Gallery at http://kingofthebeasts.smugmug.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow