Loving the XC 15-45mm

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Human Elements
Human Elements Regular Member • Posts: 199
Loving the XC 15-45mm

I needed a wide-angle option for my kit but couldn't decide on which prime lens to get. And since the XC lenses are $100-$150 used in Taiwan, I decided I'd pick up the XC 15-45mm to play with until I can decide which wide fast prime to add to my kit. I'm now questioning my desire for an ultrawide prime with this little gem.

I was worried I should have gone with the 16-50mm since testing in store, I could see the XC is visibly soft past 30mm or so. But that extra 1mm on the wide end is nice and the close focus on this lens is as good as the 16mm f/1.4. Also, it's tiny! I have no reason not to carry it along because it collapses when powered down. I'm treating it like a wide-angle prime

I noodled with these files in C1 but the innate colors and sharpness are no worse than any of the other lenses I've used. If I pixel peep the edges are worse wide open but I'm not printing fine art landscapes so that's fine. My main gripe is that the focal length isn't shown and I can't find any way online to display it with this lens. A really odd thing to omit for a zoom lens. 15mm is obviously easy but I'd love to know for sure that I'm at 18mm or 23mm for the classic focal lengths.

(heavily cropped)

I was also surprised by how handy the OIS is. Normally, OIS isn't something I really care about but since I prefer the wide end it gives me quite a bit of latitude.

-- hide signature --

Photos and Writing at: https://humanelements.blog/

Human Elements's gear list:Human Elements's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm 15-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS PZ
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow