Do you expect any new telephoto lenses from Canon in 2020?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,486
Re: Do you expect any new telephoto lenses from Canon in 2020?

Yes it definitely depends.  I read all these reports from people saying the R AF is so great and wonder how many doses of crack they just finished smoking before they made their comments.  Now I don’t think everyone is crazy so there must be situations where the AF of the R is pretty good.  I work almost exclusively with long telephoto lenses and small AF errors are pretty painfully obvious.  For this reason I quickly learned how to do AFMA as soon as the feature became available.  Like you, before AFMA I thought AF from SLR’s was pretty bad/inconsistent.  Afterward, I discovered it’s actually quite excellent.  It isn’t perfect, there are some jitters, especially in bright light but it’s quite decent.  Yes I did experiment extensively with the AF on my R.  After the firmware update I found it to go from maddeningly awful to decent.  When tracking birds walking around in their environment it often will just wander off after having been locked for several frames and it almost never catches proper AF after that.  The AF zone just remains blue and blurry shot after blurry shot is recorded.

I think the big thing a lot of people are seeing with the R is that their lenses probably did need AFMA and since mirrorless doesn’t need it they are finally seeing what their lenses are actually capable of.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow