EOS R, A7iii, Z6...or go APS-C Fuji X-T3? Pros/Cons of EOS R?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
OUGrad05 Forum Member • Posts: 83
EOS R, A7iii, Z6...or go APS-C Fuji X-T3? Pros/Cons of EOS R?

Hello everyone.  I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a camera.  I'm leaning towards full frame for the added low light and dynamic range that typically comes with full frame.  
I'm not a professional photographer but enjoy photography, all aspects of it and shoot my kids sporting events, vacations, landscapes.  I want video and stills capability which all of these provide.  
I'm an existing Canon shooter with an old but solid Rebel T2i, I only have a single Canon lens, the 15-85 which has proven itself a worthy piece of kit.  I've done numerous storm chases with this setup and despite getting poured on several times the gear has held up well with no water intrusion.  Additionally, my wife is now interested in photography so my plan is to pass this system down to her.  
Here's how I currently see the systems:
Sony - Excellent lenses, great features with superb photo and video capability, including a great AF system and IBIS.  Primary weaknesses?  Price, terrible menu system, mediocre weather sealing, smaller body/ergonomic issues (I have large hands), I ultimately question the reliability of the system over years of use.  
Nikon - Excellent, but very limited lens selection (no 24-105) for the Z mount system.  Good enough autofocus but lagging Sony and Canon.  Good menu's, good weather sealing, excellent photo and video capability and dynamic range to rival Sony along with IBIS.  No 24-105 z mount announced, Nikon is out of the gate strong but question long-term ability to dedicate resources to the platform, mediocre customer service.
Canon - Excellent lenses, excellent backward compatibility with older lenses, already have an RF mount 24-105.  Really good AF system on the Canon, great ergonomics and menu system.  However, it lacks the speed of the Nikon and Sony, 8fps vs 10+.  Video capability, low light and dynamic range are also lagging the Nikon and Sony.  
I've been waiting on Canon to bring something out that ticks all the boxes, they simply seem unwilling to do it.  At MSRP prices the Canon in my mind is a non-starter due to its lack of features.  However, I may be able to get an EOS R with the 24-105 at a pretty considerable discount, which makes the missing features much more palatable and keeps me in the Canon family which should make it easier for my wife to use my gear.  I also trust Canon's weather sealing which is important for my storm chasing, although I have no doubt Nikon would perform well here as well.  
At some point, I'm sure Canon will get their act together and produce a mirrorless that's truly spec competitive.  Buying something at a discount today may be worth it because it will offer a significant upgrade over my current setup and I can then upgrade the body in a few years.  
Any thoughts?  Should I just throw in the towel and move to something else or take the plunge?  
Are you all enjoying your EOS R?  What do you see as the pro's and con's?

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow