50mm 1.4 focus problem on the R with control ring

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
User5942872967 Regular Member • Posts: 195
50mm 1.4 focus problem on the R with control ring

I was traveling in costa rica and decided to grab the 50mm 1.4 to do portraits. I turned the camera on and noticed the AF was having a problem. I remounted the 50mm and still didn't work. it would focus on the close side but when it spun to infinity and not be able to move back to close side. I switch to MF and it works fine. under AF the evf would light red when i tried to hit the shutter. I put a 55-250 on and it worked great.

I saw a bunch of youtube videos and it looks like a problem with the 50 1.4 AF motor. I get back to the state side and mail the 50mm 1.4 in to get repaired. I'm cps gold and I requested they test the lens for the canon service recall even though it wasn't on the serial number listed. they tested the lens and said nothing is wrong with it. I told them try eos r and control ring. They said they can't reproduce the problem and wanted me to send my R and control ring in. I said no cause I got rf 35mm and 24-105 that is coming in. I'll try to reproduce the problem again and I have a spare t4i and will see if it fails on the t4i.

My 50mm 1.4 looks brand new I rarely use it. never dropped. maybe 100 clicks on it.

anyone else ever see this problem?

https://youtu.be/6iUtiQLHwEM

Fast forward to 1:44. My lens was making a low hissing sound as well.

https://youtu.be/EleZpssEvR4

The beginning of this video you can see the focus issue i was talking about. That’s why when I saw Canon service notice for the 50 1.4 I said that sounds seriously similar to the problem I’m having.

Thanks,

Sid

User5942872967's gear list:User5942872967's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS R GoPro Hero (2018) Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +19 more
Canon EOS Rebel T4i (EOS 650D / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow