A7RII to EOS R to S1R if you are interested. . .

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Flashback
Flashback Regular Member • Posts: 437
A7RII to EOS R to S1R if you are interested. . .

Like a lot of people here I assume, had switched from Canon to Sony when they went full frame.

I purchased the A7RII and have achieved some fine images, but it never really balanced well with my very heavy Otus 85mm. So I decided to jump ship again to the new Canon EOS R, coupled with their 50mm F1.2. Whoa, what a mistake!

All those rumblings about the poor dynamic range are absolutely justified. No matter how much I backed off the exposure compensation, upped the saturation and tried their highlight control setting, the highlights were still blown and washed out. Canons 30mp sensor is way, way behind Sony's technology.  For a landscape photographer you would really struggle. Additionally, although not that important to me, the EOS R video quality is also very average.

So back went the Canon and out of desperation I took a punt on the Panasonic S1R. What a lovely surprise, a much better sensor, well able to contain those highlights and that high resolution viewfinder is absolute joy to use, almost optical.

Yes, the S1R is a lump of a camera, but it feels great in the hand, with an excellent build quality. Very early days yet in testing, but the first negative is the appallingly slow and cumbersome WiFi, very 90's!

Flashback's gear list:Flashback's gear list
Leica X1 Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS 5D Sony a7R II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow