Is it worth "upgrading" from the Zeiss 85mm f1.8 to the Sony 85mm GM F1.4?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Smiller4128 Contributing Member • Posts: 581
Is it worth "upgrading" from the Zeiss 85mm f1.8 to the Sony 85mm GM F1.4?

Hello all,

I've been debating on "upgrading" from my Zeiss 85mm F1.8 to the Sony GM 85mm F1.4 for awhile now. It's not so much that I'm unhappy with my Zeiss so much as having the "best" 85mm for my portraits that I can have. I found a really great local deal on one for $1250 from a guy in my area. I've bought lenses from him before so I trust him. But, I'm really torn over whether spending the money on the Sony GM can be justified when I already have the Zeiss 85mm f1.8? If I did buy the GM, I would likely sell the Zeiss as I wouldn't need two lenses in the same focal range and that way I could recoup a decent amount (a little more than half maybe?) of what I'm spending on the GM.

My question though is if it's worth it? The Zeiss so far has worked well for my needs. I don't need the OIS (A7iii has IBIS) and I don't really need the weather sealing as I don't tend to shoot in any crazy weather anyways. I will say that I dislike the way the Zeiss handles...I WANT to like it but in hand...it just feels weird...maybe because I came from Fuji and all of the lenses were much nicer to hold in my opinion. Anyways, I know there's a jump in size and weight. I'm not too concerned though as I would mainly use it for planned shoots instead of lugging it everywhere with me. If I want that down the road, I could invest in the Sony 85mm F1.8 as well I suppose. But I just want the best IQ I can get for my shoots and I'm hoping the GM will provide that.

Is there anyone here who has had both and can comment on their experiences with both these lenses?

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T3 Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow