Why did Canon decide against offering EFCS in the EOS M6 II?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Helen
Helen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,974
Why did Canon decide against offering EFCS in the EOS M6 II?

I've been wondering about this. I was a bit surprised that the EOS M6 II doesn't have an option for EFCS (electronic first-curtain shutter) operation, given that Canon have been enthusiastic providers of this feature for a long time, both in many of their DSLRs and (as far as I know) in all of their previous mirrorless cameras. In some it's an option, but in quite a few - for example the EOS M, M5, M50 and RP - it has been the only way the mechanical shutter operates.

I know that there are some (very subtle, usually) potential downsides to EFCS, though I have never personally encountered them. I also realise that the EOS M6 II is the first APS-C Canon to offer a properly-accessible fully electronic (silent) shutter mode, which is a very useful addition which has been a long time coming to their range (the full frame EOS R had it first, but the RP is like the M50 in only having it in a program-only scene mode). However, silent shutter does have more commonly-encountered side-effects than EFCS (no compatibility with flash, slow scan speeds potentially causing banding with certain artificial lighting at certain shutter speeds, or potential distortion/skewing of fast-moving objects or objects moving rapidly across the frame for whatever reason).

I do wonder whether the intermittent suggestions here and there that some of the EF-M lenses (not sure if similar suggestions have been made about EF and EF-S lenses - particularly some older ones maybe?) are not "good enough" for the 32MP sensor in the EOS M6 II might perhaps, in some cases, have something to do with the fact that some of those lenses might be more susceptible to showing the effects the first curtain's close-then-open vibrations at the start of the exposure (i.e. shutter shock) when using the mechanical shutter?

Given the above, I'd have thought that it would have been valuable to leave the option of EFCS operation for the mechanical shutter in place. Though it may of course be the case that the shutter model used isn't actually capable of it, I suppose.

Canon EOS M6 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow