Why don't camera companies do more branding with accessories?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Idontseegraininreallife New Member • Posts: 14
Why don't camera companies do more branding with accessories?

Yes, every company offers a few items here and there, but for businesses that have such invested and loyal followings, and every nickel counts, are they missing opportunities that other industries capitalize on? Just look at these forums, brand customers defend their brand like mother and country. They are zealots!  Seems there would be a market for all things from whatever brand you claim loyalty too?

You look at a business like Harley Davidson motorcycles. They have expanded branding into everything, even to the point of having actual stores just for stuff that says Harley on it. Not that it's apples to apples obviously, but Canon, the biggest player, has like two t-shirts, one hat, a coffee mug and a stuffed bear. Pentax, my brand, has nothing. I am sure most fall somewhere in between. Doesn't even have to be apparel. Cool camera straps, more than a few boring cases, etc. There's all kinds of stuff they could partner with someone that's creative to sell. And it's not just about profit, it's about exposure and just a larger ecosystem.

Maybe it's just not a Japanese way of doing things, maybe nobody would buy it if they did, but my two cents is it's a missed avenue of doing business.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow