A9 - shoot uncompressed RAW => DNG or shoot compressed RAW?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dschamis Regular Member • Posts: 367
A9 - shoot uncompressed RAW => DNG or shoot compressed RAW?

I'm thinking hard about what is better - to shoot in uncompressed ARW format and then convert to DNG or to just shoot in compressed ARW format (and maybe also convert to DNG but maybe not since file size is no longer a factor)?

I've read a number of reports that says Sony's uncompressed ARW format is a higher bit depth then its compressed, and when you later convert the uncompressed to DNG you don't lose those extra bits.  If that's true it seems worthwhile doing, but if it isn't true it may just be a big waste of time and SD card space.

I don't necessarily want to get into a whole debate of RAW vs DNG here, but if the above is true it seems like that would trump (I'm sorry to use that verb) any other pros or cons for the RAW vs DNG debate.

Thoughts?

David

dschamis's gear list:dschamis's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a9 II Sony 2.0x Teleconverter Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +4 more
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow