Almost bought E-M5 iii but stopped because of this

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
HaoAndHui Regular Member • Posts: 482
Almost bought E-M5 iii but stopped because of this

I need a small and light yet powerful M43 camera and was looking at E-M5 iii, it ticked most of my boxes, I went to a shop to test it out, but I found this show-stopper (for the same reason I didn't like Pen-F after trying my friend Pen-F).

Problem:

When you have LCD facing inwards, and set the camera to turn ON/OFF EVF via eye-sensor, there's a significantly noticeable delay from when you look at EVF to the EVF being turned on, this is much less obvious if you have LCD visible.

When Pen-F came out, I borrowed it from a friend and immediately noticed this issue. I guess when LCD is facing inwards, the camera is in a kind of sleep mode that's deeper than when the LCD is visible, I don't know why Olympus did this - I guess they didn't do this on purpose as I can't think of any reason how this is useful; I suspect this is some kind of limitation either in their firmware or hardware that are not easy to fix, if so, here comes the real problem:

Real Problem:

Olympus is known for its history of camera (or optics in general) and such brands like Leica, Zeiss, etc, carries some kind of nostalgic feelings in their product that some people like, in comparison, electronic companies like Panasonic, is often considered as hair-drying producer. In a digital age, you can't live solely with nostalgia, but have to rely on digital part to make things work, and it's a fairly important part of a successful product, this is what Olympus lacks of, from Pen-F to E-M5 iii this issue hasn't been solved, I really hope Olympus could release a firmware fix to fix this problem.

HaoAndHui's gear list:HaoAndHui's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
Olympus E-M5 III Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow