Sony ergonomics, menu system, controls and colors ...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Mr_Win Regular Member • Posts: 195
Re: Sony ergonomics, menu system, controls and colors ...

TRIODEROB wrote:

seems like I read quite a number of threads where folks jump ship from Sony for those specific 4 items.

if Sony can be a leader in such hi tech areas as sensor development and eye focus , why cant they get the hand grip, portrait color science and an intuitive menu system right ???

just to be clear … I am not saying these things - but just look for yourself on the other forums at the number of Sony owners reaching out as they are about to eBay their Sony systems and buy Nikon, Canon R or Fuji

it's learned behavior.  People have learned to like Canon for a long time, breaking that habit is tough, people are resistant to change.  There are a ton of people that switch all the time, they're simply finding their way with gear, it's a natural progression.  Many will eventually switch back to Sony because they will figure out through experience, that features matter.

Color science..... Canon has been through so many revisions themselves, the gold standard use to be the 5Dc, and to some, it still is.  Change is difficult, it's one thing if sony was wildly off, but it's been shown that Sony is no slouch in the world of color science, and if you actually knew color theory, you can manipulate so that you can move through brands without subjective traits you couldnt break.  After shooting with Sony for so long, I started to like Sony color science, and now have moved a bit and think Arri has the best color science.

Hand grip is somewhat subjective as well, I have no interest in a big honking DSLR type camera, and nothing beats having a side handle, but that gets even bigger.  Again, this is a habit that has grown on people.  Canon doesnt have a joystick, and that can be problematic to old style shooters that learned it to be necessary.  With realtime tracking, I have little use for a joystick.

The menu sucks, so I dont go into it, I configure my camera and that's it.  When shooting Canon, I was going into the menu more than I like and the menus were great.... but I had to go in there to do changes.  Customization is much better on sony, that I have leftover buttons....  So having really good menus and needing to use them vs poor menus and not needing to use them....  Canon is having a big marketing push and slashing prices.  The R is much newer than the 7iii, costs more when introduced, now costs less, so what does the pricing tell you about the camera?  The demand of the much newer camera is not so hot, that they had to lower prices and doing giveaways to influencers, and it's working well for them.  Your reviews are pretty positive when a product is given to you for free...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow