Attaching camera body instead of lens collar to tripod?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 12,644
Re: Attaching camera body instead of lens collar to tripod?

ZodiacPhoto wrote:

How would you understand this suggestion from Sony (last suggestion on that page):

- Are there things I can do to obtain a sharper image when shooting using a tripod?

If using heavy lens, to prevent camera shake, fix the camera itself with a tripod or monopod, instead of using just a tripod-mounting collar for the lens.

Do they suggest that it is better to mount the camera body on the tripod, instead of the lens collar (if the re is one)? Or there is a way to attach BOTH camera body and lens collar to the tripod, with a long plate or something similar?

There are ways to support both a camera and a long lens. Usually the lens mounts to the tripod because with small format cameras and long telephoto lens is usually heavier, and there is a secondary support for the camera body

The first I encountered the idea of support both a lens and a camera body it was in a book on photography technique by Andreas Feininger that I borrowed from a photographer I worked for.AF wrote he used a bipod attached to a tripod when using a telephoto lens on his 4x5 view camera. In that case the body of the camera mounted on a the tripod and the bipod supported the front of the lens.

i have used a couple methods to support both a big lens and a camera body simultaneously. One method is to use a Manfrotto Magic Arm supporting the camera on one end and the other end there is a Manfrotto SuperClamp attached to the tripod. With this set up I’ve also draped a small sandbag over the lens to absolutely kill vibration. The problem with this setup is once it is set plan on not changing the position of the camera rapidly.

The other solution is a long rail that supports the camera body on one end and at the other end there is a “Y” shaped support to hold up the front lens. More practically the lenses tripod mount is mounted to the rail and the “Y” support holds up the front end of the lens. The advantage of this set up is that it is easy to rotate the camera and lens to level the roll angle or go from “landscape” to “portrait orientation.

For maximum stability use either a cable release or an electronic wireless release to snap the shutter. With very long lenses these days I use the last technique and the rail is mounted to a  fluid type tripod head designed for video work.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
To see my work please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on instagram @therealellisv

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow