Genuine Vs. knock off Hoya Pro1 CPL

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kris_alva New Member • Posts: 3
Genuine Vs. knock off Hoya Pro1 CPL

I recently picked up a 52mm and 77mm Hoya Pro1 CPL from two different eBay sellers with 100% feedback and plenty of transactions. The 52 came first, then the 77mm today.

For being the same product minus the size difference, these two filters have an abundance of differences from the build to the packaging. I don’t have any any other genuine Hoya Pro1’s to compare it to, and seeing as these are my first CPLs, I’m not sure how to prove their authenticity. Could anyone tell which of thee are genuine Hoya filters, or if both are knock-offs? See photos below:

Bottom front label appears different between the two (blue is a darker hue on the left); LPF and DMC on the left filter has extended silver background while on the right, the acronyms are better fitted; quality of landscape photo on left filter’s front cover appears to be higher res than the right filter

Left filter has barcode sticker, while right has it printed on the label; Tokina branding at the bottom of the right filter vs the left; some bold fonts in the description of specs on the right filter; back of left filter box reads “JAPAN” in caps; right filter does not have the filter size on the barcode, but neither does the left filter, and only has the UPC.

Two kitchen lights directly over the filters

The ridges next to “Hoya” seem a bit too close. There is also no arrow next to it as there is with the 77mm below. The 77mm also does not exhibit any ridges the way the 52mm does. The font on the 77mm appears thicker as well.

Turning the filter for polarization is a bit tougher on the 77mm, while the 52mm is smoother. The 77mm weighs about 26g and the 52mm weighs 16g

Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow