Do you expect any new telephoto lenses from Canon in 2020?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,929
Re: Do you expect any new telephoto lenses from Canon in 2020?

fastnsharp wrote:

Tannin wrote:

fastnsharp wrote:

I just think its a shame there are so many Canon shooters who haven't even given the R a fair shake because they're "invested" in EF glass. EF lenses work very well on the R.

I've given the R more than a "fair shake" and, frankly, it doesn't cut the mustard.

I still have my EOS R, and I still use it, but not for anything where handling, controls, viewfinder quality, and autofocus performance matters. Of my five Canon cameras, the EOS R has the second-worst autofocus. Yes, it does have better autofocus than the 10-year-old 5D II. Then again, so does every other camera made this decade. And on the other hand, the 10-year-old 1D IV kills it, as do the 7D II and the 5D IV. We have taken to calling out EOS R "the toy camera", which is about right.

It's a promising technology and I'll have another look at it when it's ready for prime time. Maybe around 2025 or so, who can say?

That's the first time I'm hearing anything along these lines with regard to the EOS R. In my experience it obliterates the 5D IV in AF performance. Especially when it comes to repeatability. The R will simply nail shots at a sub millimeter level of accuracy where the 5D IV is frankly all over the place...

Maybe if you don't have a standard for accuracy and accept those near misses into your workflow then a DSLR is ok for you?

I guess I can talk from experience because I have used quite a few Canon cameras including all the 5D series cameras and all the RF series cameras.

Are you sure you took the time to learn how to use the EOS R? I'm honestly not sure you did.

Also, I'm not suggesting there isn't room for improvement in the R, certainly the AF could be vastly improved, just look at what Sony is doing.

BTW have you seen what Sony is doing in their low end cameras???

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-a6600-review/4

Canon is getting torched right now and more Dino-SLR's are not the answer. The 1Dx mk III could end up being one of the most tone deaf releases in Canons history. When literally nobody is impressed with what it can do and a cheap Sony APS-C scorches it on all fronts, don't expect a big seller at 6k a pop!

How many credentialed photographers at NFL/NBA/MLB games are using this hot new Sony camera?

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Dabbling with Leica-M is fun, too. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +56 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow