Do you expect any new telephoto lenses from Canon in 2020?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Tannin Senior Member • Posts: 1,386
Re: Do you expect any new telephoto lenses from Canon in 2020?

fastnsharp wrote:

I just think its a shame there are so many Canon shooters who haven't even given the R a fair shake because they're "invested" in EF glass. EF lenses work very well on the R.

I've given the R more than a "fair shake" and, frankly, it doesn't cut the mustard.

I still have my EOS R, and I still use it, but not for anything where handling, controls, viewfinder quality, and autofocus performance matters. Of my five Canon cameras, the EOS R has the second-worst autofocus. Yes, it does have better autofocus than the 10-year-old 5D II. Then again, so does every other camera made this decade. And on the other hand, the 10-year-old 1D IV kills it, as do the 7D II and the 5D IV. We have taken to calling out EOS R "the toy camera", which is about right.

It's a promising technology and I'll have another look at it when it's ready for prime time. Maybe around 2025 or so, who can say?

Tannin's gear list:Tannin's gear list
Canon G9 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow