My user experience with the 16-80

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jli_jon Junior Member • Posts: 39
My user experience with the 16-80

I know there have been numerous detailed posts about this lens since it's release so I won't post any pictures here but just wanted to provide another enthusiast experience of this lens. Like most people interested in this lens, I had somewhat high expectations given how the lens looked like 'on paper'.

My first copy of this lens on firmware 1.0 and XT-3 showed terrible shutter shock with MF but sharp images with EFCS - in line with others' reports. Also in line with others' findings, I found the lens to be unacceptable at 16mm on the edges and corners and great from 20mm to about 70mm. I was okay with the softness at 80mm as I would mostly use that focal length for close-ups. So I returned the lens.

I gave the lens a second chance with firmware 1.02 this week as I really want to use this as a one-lens solution for travel/landscape. Nevertheless, I am getting the same edge/corner sharpness issues at around 16-20mm. I really want to like this lens, I've seen what the 16-55 f2.8 can do and am trying not to compare it to that, however the 16mm focal length is important to me at least for how I and probably most people plan on using this lens.

I know there are posts out there that praise this lens and many really like it, including some non-sponsored youtube reviewers I've seen. The weakness at the wide focal lengths is likely due to internal optical constraints/distortions that fuji had to make to keep the lens compact and more appealing for travel. I observe a similar effect when I compare my fuji 16mm f1.4 (large for what it is but optically quite perfect at the corners) to my fuji 35mm f2 (compact but weaker at the corners for that same reason). Something had be sacrificed to keep this lens compact. And we see the opposite effect on the fuji 16-55 f2.8 with it's larger size giving it better optical characteristics.

At the end of the day, no one can beat physics and choosing a travel zoom for me boils down to compromises. I'm going to take a few more test shots in the next few days, but I'm leaning towards returning this copy of the lens sadly as well.

jli_jon's gear list:jli_jon's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow