Paintshop Pro 2020

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael W00d Senior Member • Posts: 1,014
Re: Paintshop Pro 2020

Over the past few weeks I have looked extensively at other image editing software with the wish to change away from Corel PSP. The reason for a possible change is, as others have said above, that Corel have done virtually nothing to improve the package over the 15 years I have been using it. They have improved the interface, but improvements to the editing package appear to be focused on selection/masking. I abandoned their mediocre masking 6 or 7 years ago by adopting the Topaz Remask plugin, which was probably the best around at the time and is difficult to beat even today.

One of the major grouses I have against Corel is that their tuition videos and Webinars are catastrophically poor or even non-existent for some applications. Just look at what Affinity produces in comparison. I’m sure that PSP can do more than I can achieve, but without explanatory tuition videos one has no chance of utilising its potential. Corel’s focus is on trivia and they do not cater for, or appear to understand, the need for more advanced techniques.

PSP’s RAW conversion package is abysmal. Just compare it to Capture 1 for example. However, the big plus point of Corel PSP for me is its usability. I love its cloning and layers. I use Lightroom for RAW conversion, clone in PSP, manage layers in PSP and finetune my images with Topaz plugins/Studio. So instead of going to Affinity or Capture 1 I chickened out last Friday and upgraded from PSP 2018 to 2020 for £30.

I’ve not installed it yet, though I’ll probably bypass the pile of ancillary junk that came in the Ultra package. In 12 months’ time I’ll probably go through the same process of reappraisal.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow