Lightweight, fast camera for insect photos

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Loligo
Loligo New Member • Posts: 2
Lightweight, fast camera for insect photos

Hello,

I'm looking for camera recommendations for insect photography that will be used for identification purposes (meaning I want to be able to identify to species from the photograph). I'm photographing bees (living ones, not pinned), and I need as much detail as I can get. I have a Sony a6300 with a macro lens, but I find focusing, getting enough depth of field and the weight of the lens and flash an issue. I don't need good looking photos, just ones that are in focus and detailed. Most of these bees are really small, some down to 8mm for example, and I often need to see minute details like the shape of the tarsal claws on their feet.

If I could get this level of detail with something lightweight and fast, that would be amazing (this isn't my photo): https://bugguide.net/node/view/1393224 I'm not sure if that's even possible, but a girl can dream.

Price isn't really an issue, but it would be nice to keep it under $1000.

Any help is appreciated!

Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow