Embarrasing dog challenge

Started Dec 2, 2019 | Discussions thread
abiquiuense
abiquiuense Senior Member • Posts: 6,501
Re: Embarrasing dog challenge

barb_s wrote:

Regarding the voting.... The 1/2 star voter on the 3rd place photo gave low marks to many, including the 1st 2. He/She gave no 5's and many 1's and 1.5's but seemed to like some of the nicer photo's like the 10th place entry, but the majority were just low votes. That voter's opinions were just as valid as others. It wasn't someone voting down the good ones.

You worked it out using the "anonymized voter" method?  How would you encourage this member to openly discuss the "rationale," forming the decision to award a particular vote, for a particular entry?

I reviewed your newly sprung (2012) series' forward.  I might safely say that one member took you up on the "rules," and made a comment, well before the votes.  Where the forward, might not necessarily be thought of as a rule, its premise, if enforced from the start of the challenge, might have attracted a different set of voters.  Given these parameters, might not all entries have been disqualified?

That you picked canines as the subject, indicates that you wanted really clear pictures of a really fuzzy subject.  Your, or Member Andre Pooh's, new challenge, "Still life, . . . " promises to remove the fuzzy subject, and I might consider an entry.  Given your forward, I'll consider its premise, and hope that others can join me in the discussion, and thence, from the resultant discussion, submit an improvement to my first entry of two.

I encourage you to disqualify only those that aren't focused.  That will encourage me not to consider another visit to my vision care provider.  Furthermore, unless I'm missing something, any "0.5" votes will not be based on that it's not a "still life."

Eg.; this is a still life.  As a still life it totally deserves a "3.0". I expect a "5.0" from piñón (spelled correctly, by the rule for accentuation) lovers.  I expect a "3.0" from turquoise lovers.  And, a "5.0' from the Nestle's sleeper cell.

Which brings me to;

To Member "LaChien, and her/his sleeper cell".  "La" is feminine; "Chien" is masculine.  Nice concordance, grammatically speaking.  You've 2,741 votes to your credit, in four years of membership.  Would you please post a "myVotes" screen shot of a past challenge where you voted, together with a rationale/schematic that compelled your different awards?

If the attached is a still life, member lachien; would you please describe your schematic?

I also was somewhat disturbed to read a post on the 1st place entry saying they and their friends would all be voting 5 on it.

Is that vote rigging? Or is that someone really liking that style of a photograph? While I do not condone having friend groups vote up a photo, it appears those voters did vote on others, and gave pretty high marks for some as well.

I do not think the winner should be disqualified due to someone really liking their entry - and I do not think the submitter was related to the voting block- so it remains 1st place.

Personally, had I been a voter, I think I would have given that one a high mark. And I liked entry 2 a lot.

With that sad, have commented back to the person that was very excited about the 1st place dog. I can't contact the 7 '5 star' voters to see where they live, or if they are friends with the submitter, and I doubt I'll get a reply but I did let them know they have not helped in any way.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow