Fuji XT-2 or Sony A7II

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Eugleo Junior Member • Posts: 45
Re: Cato Kaylyn

golfhov wrote:

Eugleo wrote:

That’s another very nice and detailed answer, thanks!

Cato is a heck of a contributor. Fully agree with what he has said

From what you said, I prefer the Fuji; I don’t mind an extra step when editing the raw files

You can actually pull files from both cameras off the studio scene page here. Those files are shot static of a tripod with a high quality prime. They are meant more to be an estimate on ISO and less on resolution BUT it does show

Will do. I’m actually not sure whether the low-light benefit of FF will be of much use to me (I don’t really know what constitutes “low-light”).

and if IBIS isn’t useful 95% of the time, I might as well just skip it.

I don't know that I would say it is only useful 5% of the time. I use it regularly and not only can it extend my normal abilities it is helpful at what should be "normal" speeds if I am holding the camera at an awkward angle.

Guessing on what you have said it is a mixed bag. I wouldn't say it is 95% important but I wouldnt say it is 95% unimportant

Yeah, it’s hard to decide on this one. I guess some of the newer lenses have their own OIS, but on the other hand, the old legacy ones don’t... I think the darkest place I’ll regularly shoot in is a forest (the European kind, see the enclosed photo). Will the lack of IBIS (and FF, for that matter) hurt me there (considering I don’t want to shoot handheld photos)?

And after all, if I come to prefer the Sony one day (i.e. the A7III once the price drops significantly), I can just sell my old gear and switch systems.

This is just a real possibility no matter what you choose. You don't have the experience to know all your priorities now and even if you did sometimes priorities change with time

If I understood it correctly, lenses don’t lose much on value anyway

It all depends. It depends on the way you purchase them, the way you care for them, and how you resell them.

and I can get over the loss of 750$ for the body if need be.

I doubt it would be a TOTAL loss. Bodies still retain some value if cared for. They do tend to depreciate faster.

My last two questions are have you handled both cameras?

Not yet, only the Sony. I have an appointment tomorrow, and I’ll try out the Fuji then. I have actually been using the Sony for three days already, but I’m still in the return window.

And have you evaluated the lenses you may want to seek out?

Partially; I want to start with cheap and/or legacy lenses, to find out what suits me best. That means the 35mm 2.8 prime for Sony and the kit zoom lens for Fuji, and some older lenses after that. I checked and many of the recommended and nicely reviewed fast (f2) lenses are sub 500$ for Fuji, and even less when bought from second-hand. And for Sony, there are a lot of great and relatively cheap lenses from third-party suppliers. So, all in all, for me Sony and Fuji is pretty similar in this regard.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow