I finally got it

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Max Iso
Max Iso Senior Member • Posts: 8,155
Re: A very good point

Marty4650 wrote:

tbcass wrote:

fferreres wrote:

I am not saying you will not use them, or that they will absolutely vanish. I think most will abandon them. I have seen in with friends and so many others, like the OP in this thread, I see more and more every day.

The vast majority of those people probably used cheap P&S cameras previously.

I think a lot of people forget that point. The overall decline in camera sales has occurred for more than one reason. The smartphone did totally replace the cheap P&S camera and can be rightfully blamed for their sales decline.

Back at the peak, P&S cameras outsold ILCs by a factor of something like four to one. The VAST majority of cameras sold were this type of camera, and it also accounted for a large majority of camera maker revenues. This is the customer that is permanently gone.

But the decline in sales for higher grade camera had nothing to do with competition from "more convenient smartphones."

The high end user doesn't crave convenience. They crave quality and performance. And this is true in every human pursuit. People always are willing to accept more size, weight cost, and inconvenience to have the best quality anything.

Midrange and high end camera sales are being hurt by two other factors:

1. Product maturity - every camera made in past five year works pretty well
  2. Market saturation - anyone who ever wanted a digital camera already has one

Now you are just making sense Marty

-- hide signature --

"Burning, burning, faster, faster are your revolutionists,
If I could collapse the masses,
We'd be free to grow our wings" -

Max Iso's gear list:Max Iso's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow