Fuji X-H1 vs X-T3 Autofocus

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Threaded Senior Member • Posts: 3,003
Re: Fuji X-H1 vs X-T3 Autofocus

I’m very used to X-Pro2 autofocus (which is roughly equivalent to the XH1) and for a month or two have have been using the XT3.

The XT3 is undoubtedly better, but is more obviously improved in the edge cases - in lower light where the PDAF still activates where the XP2 drops down to contrast detect, and at the literal edges of the frame where again the XT3 has PDAF and the XP2 does not.

This all adds up to a bigger difference in tracking and continuous performance, where the XT3 is able to track and focus more reliably across the frame.  Face and eye detection is improved in the same way BUT I do think it’s still less reliable than it needs to be and can sometimes be a hindrance as a result of that, locking onto the wrong face (or non face) or losing the right face at just the wrong time).

For single shot shooting, which is still my preferred method most of the time, there really isn’t a great deal in it in normal conditions, and that’s probably why on balance I’ve decided to switch back to the XP2 and let the XT3 go.

Threaded's gear list:Threaded's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow