Z50 tilting screen ... advantages?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
2yota Forum Member • Posts: 76
Z50 tilting screen ... advantages?

It almost seems like the whole review world has come and gave their final judgement crucifying the Z50 for not being implemented with an articulating swivel rear screen. I have to admit, myself included. My initial thoughts were "why wouldn't Nikon use an articulating design that could position the screen in every possible angle we would want?"  Almost all my shooting (both photos and videos) are done behind the camera, so having just a tilt screen actually works well for me. I can just pop the screen out, easily angle it for my high or low shots, and not having to worry about dangling the screen over on the side of the camera where it is fighting with my left-hand for commodity space. At the same time, there's no denying that the flip down-style screen to face forward isn't ideal for the so called vloggers that rely on the tripod mount as the screen will be completely obscured. BUT, for all the negativity of the flip down screen design ... there is at least one benefit of having it there too! For those taking hand-held selfies, the camera body literally acts almost like a baseball cap and blocks off the sun so you can see the screen better!

I was reading an article here on DPReview called "What is it like to come back to a DSLR after shooting mirrorless?"  Even though  the core content is for the Canon 90D, there's some good in-field experiences that can be applied to all camera's too. Below is a snippet of the article written by Suzi Pratt:

"Since the Canon 5D series still does not offer tilting or articulating rear screens, I was excited to finally see one on the Canon 90D. As I say, the ability to shoot and compose with a movable LCD on mirrorless cameras has really enhanced my creativity when it comes to image composition.

Now that I've spent some time with the fully-articulated screen on the Canon 90D that can face forward for vlogging, I find that it isn’t very useful for shooting photos. For most photo and video needs, it is more efficient to have a two-axis LCD screen that simply pops out and tilts up or down; you truly only need the 90D’s forward-facing flip screen if you intend to vlog or take selfies.

In the photo below, I had the camera low to the ground on top of the train tracks and needed to angle the LCD up to compose. It not only took longer to flip the LCD screen out to the left, but it also became hard to center the image since the LCD was so far to one side. This is a case with a simple tilting screen would have worked much better.

On the other hand, I love the Canon 90D’s screen that lets you turn the LCD inward to face the camera, thereby offering screen protection. It would be fantastic to see other camera manufacturers add this feature to their LCDs."

If you're interested in reading the whole article, you can find it here:  https://www.dpreview.com/articles/8536336961/what-is-it-like-to-come-back-to-a-dslr-after-shooting-mirrorless

Anyhow, no design is perfect but we all learn to work with what we have to get the pictures/videos that we need!

2yota's gear list:2yota's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon Coolpix P340 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +11 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow