Fuji X-T2 vs Sony A7II

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
omareision New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Fuji X-T2 vs Sony A7II

Hi there, I've been shooting on Sony A7II for a year now, and I loved this camera. It has a really nice IQ, the focus is fast with the fast lenses (i.e. I've got the Samyang 35mm f2.8), and when you get used to the camera it's fast to operate.

Two months ago, because I really don't trust 100% my Sony A7II (I'm kinda hardcore user and sometimes it's getting blocked), I borrowed a X-T3 with the kit lens to make the photography in a series of events I've got.

My impressions on this camera were amazing. Lighning fast focus, impressive construction and ergonomics and a responsiveness really far from Sony. The IQ wasn't for me as great as with the Sony, but I took into account that I was shooting with a zoom (18-55), although it has a great quality, it cannot compete in IQ with my fixed glasses on Sony (FE 50mm f1.8 and Samyang 35mm f2.8, the cheapest ones).

I loved so much shooting with it and the colors of the simulations that I downloaded the simulation presets for my Sony for Capture One.

After that, I decided to go and buy a refurbished X-E3 (shares the sensor with X-T2). I've been using it a couple of weeks, paired with the cheapo XC 15-45mm, I'm really happy and I'm looking forward to change my gear.

I've made some very unprofessional IQ test and I have to say that I can't find a lot of differences. They both are able to manage well the shadow recovery, the noise at high ISOs is similar and the only one difference I found is the ability to recoveryç highlights maybe is higher on the Sony, but Fuji tends to take the pictures (with the same EV 0) like a half stop darker, so it's usually tied.

Price: The problem with Fuji is that there is not cheaper options from other vendors, so most of the lenses are premium. Assumed that, for the same IQ and construction the Fuji lenses are chepaer (56mm f1.2 vs Zeiss 85 f1.4, or 35mm f1.4 vs 55 f1.8). This would be solved soon with the new viltrox lenses (like the 85). But, and this is an important BUT, because on Fuji there is two or three XC zoom lenses that are AMAZING. I have the 15-45 that I bought for 150USD used and it's on pair with the Loxia 21mm f2.8 for Sony (+1000 USD). It's impossible to find something with this quality at this price point on Sony. I'm waiting for a XF 27mm for 150USD as well that look nice too.

IBIS: The video on my Sony is always buttery smooth, even with classic lenses. This is really nice, and I think I will miss it when shooting with non OIS lenses. But what I tried with OIS lenses is at the same level as Sony's and you have plenty of options (most of the zooms).

Classic lenses: I've got a classic soviet 50mm (Pentacon) and I love to wear it on my Sony. Its IQ is really low compared with the FE50mm, but it renders a beautiful image. I think I will miss using old lenses on the Fuji, because even though they can be adapted, they lose their purpose (the 50mm converts into a 75mm, which is a portrait lens rather than a normal lens).

Features: on Fuji X-E3 (and X-T2) you have faster burst, same level image quality, improved (really improved) AF, more video capabilities as 4K, the film simulations, raw development on camera...

The Full Frame look: I think I wont miss it so much once I get the XF35mm f1.4. Otherwise now, that I've been shooting a long time on Full Frame, I find it overrated.

I hope this was helpful for you!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GKN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow