D610 - Should photo and video look the same with same settings?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gassine New Member • Posts: 7
D610 - Should photo and video look the same with same settings?

Hey guys!

This might be a really really reeaaally stupid question, but I am still trying to figure out if I can use the D610 that I got from eBay the other day, and now that I am trying to use it as is, I noticed that the photos are always really dark. I always need to boost up the ISO to make them look bright enough.

Running some tests I saw that using the exact same settings, and using live mode for both, photos and videos are completely different. Let me give you an example.

Assume that I am using:

- Shutter speed: 1/30

- Aperture: 30

- ISO: 1000

- Auto white balance

- Standard color

- 0 Exposure compensation

- Matrix metering

Now, with these exact same settings, I can get a properly exposed video. But if I use these exact same settings to take a photo, it comes completely underexposed. In order to match the results of the video in a photo, I need to boost my ISO to 2000+. I also took it to the forest to take some photos on a really bright day, and it was impossible to get anything with ISO 100 using a DX 3.5 aperture lens. It only became bright enough when doing a shutter speed of 1/8.

Now, my question for you is: Is this normal? I am still learning about cameras, and perhaps that is a behavior to be expected, especially because I am not even using a FX lens with it, and I don't know if that will affect the amount of light that it's coming inside of it. But with the little knowledge that I have, it does not make sense that having the same exact settings, I get a different result. What do you think?

Thank you for all your help and patience with me guys, you are awesome!

Gassine's gear list:Gassine's gear list
Nikon D3400 Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR
Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow