27mm F2.8 opinions?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
JNR
JNR Veteran Member • Posts: 3,855
Re: 27mm F2.8 opinions?

GossCTP wrote:

JNR wrote:

That said, I highly value the lens' utility and accept its limitations. It certainly outperforms the 18-55 at 27mm, is fun to take along in cargo pants pockets with the X-T20, and qualifies as the only truly "normal" perspective prime lens in the Fuji line-up (35mm on APSc is a bit narrower than the accepted range of normal - which is around 27-31mm).

Would you happen to know how it fairs vs Pentax A28 f/2.8? Obviously it wouldn't be as svelte with the adapter. Just curious performance wise.

Long ago I used to sell the a28 f/2.8 fairly often... so I had a good general idea about that lens, though I never owned one - and certainly would not have experience with it in the digital realm. My recollections square with what others have generally observed... great SMC coatings for the era, but pretty much middling sharpness.

For the most part, strides in lens design over the past four decades are very apparent in zooms and wide angle lenses (FF 28mm and wider - assisted by ED, LD, aspheric, etc. elements). Longer primes haven't really progressed much. The Fuji 27mm lens has two other key advantages - it is a normal perspective focal length designed for the 16x24mm image circle rather than a FF wide angle, and as a mirrorless lens it does not require the complexity of extra flange distance (retrofocus design).

So, that is a long answer - safe to say that the 27mm is markedly better, especially regarding sharpness. That's coming from someone who values character over sharpness, and still gets plenty of fine shots from optics that were produced more than four decades ago.

-- hide signature --

JNR

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Phase One Capture One Pro Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
lk2
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow