Sony A7II or Fuji X-T2 (also, FF or APS-C, IBIS or not)

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Eugleo New Member • Posts: 36
Sony A7II or Fuji X-T2 (also, FF or APS-C, IBIS or not)

I asked the same question over in buying advice forums, but I guess you guys might want to chime in as well and have many interesting opinions.

Hey, I'm able to get both for around the same price (maybe Fuji slightly cheaper). I'm a beginner photographer, this will be my first real system.

I like to do street/travel photography, maybe sometimes landscapes and architecture. No wildlife, sports or any other fast-moving subjects or video—I still prefer a mirrorless system, though, for its compactness (if need be) and EVF.

Based on what I was reading, I came up with the following pros and cons:

A7II pros over XT-2

• FF (better for nice DOF and low-light photography)
  • IBIS
  • can adapt good old lenses (as I don't mind MF for my use cases)

XT-2 pros over A7II

• IQ allegedly basically the same as A7II or better
  • great build quality
  • great handling
  • ... basically everything else is better or on-par compared to A7II

There's four things that keep me from buying XT-2 straight away

• I don't know whether I need IBIS
  • I don't know anything about Fuji lenses (are there any cheap ones out there, so I can have a nice range of focal lengths before finding out what I need and like)?
  • I read some things about weird Fuji color handling (Ken Rockwell + some article that's being linked here on DP a lot) and I'm not sure whether Fuji si suitable for street & landscape work because of this
  • I don't know if it's not stupid to invest in Fuji system now (I don't see many people using Fuji, I wonder why)

So, these are the most important to resolve. Could you please help me with that?

Another problem I have is although I collected all the pros and cons of the individual cameras across many reviews, forum questions and videos, I don't really know how relevant they are relative to each other. If you could help me with that as well (i.e. "In low light FF only helps you one stop of light, which is almost useless anyway, but X-T2 being nice to manipulate is something you can appreciate every day" or something like that).

Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a7 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow