You must suffer to be a photographer!

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Weegee
Weegee Senior Member • Posts: 2,521
You must suffer to be a photographer!

When I got up this morning, there was a foot of snow on the ground. I thought to myself, "Boy, this is a good opportunity to put on my snow shoes, grab my Olympus and go down to the state park near me."

Guess what? I'm here at home with a cup of hot coffee in my hand and writing this new thread, while looking outside at the deep snow and freezing temperatures.

If I went out there, I'd be sweating bulletts trying to get close to the water for the best shots. The walking would tiresome, my face cold and my hands freezing against cold camera. But, I would probably come back with some decent images!

Since I'm retired, there is no longer a monetary incentive to push me out the door.

I choose my time to go out the door and weight the advantages vs disadvantages.

Twice a year I go on 2-3 week vacations that I use for my picture taking. But even there, I minimize my suffering for myself and my wife. No getting up before 8 am ( after all, it is a vacation ) and stopping around 5 pm. The worst times for photography. No before sunrise photo setups. No planned sunset shoots. My wife wants to eat around 7 pm.

So, I end up doing the best I can with what I've got. Good enough is always good enough. I will never become a well know and respected photographer, but I will have enjoyed my mediocrity in full comfort. When I did it commercially, I ofter suffered a lot! In retirement, every day is Saturday........

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow