Best backpack / rucksack for hiking photographers

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
starfly Contributing Member • Posts: 607
Re: Best backpack / rucksack for hiking photographers

Chris 222 wrote:

starfly wrote

Yeah I'll take a look at the Futura Vario 50+10 at some point. Can you do me a favor, since you own that pack. When it's completely empty and compressed with the straps and the brain folded down as much as possible, how tall is it then? I'm trying to figure out the minimum length to see if it could be snuck unto an airplane as carry-on.

When I fold the top flap down into the main pack (and then cinch the top for safety) the Deuter Futura Pro 40 is 22" tall and the Vario 50+10 is 24" tall. Some airlines will accept that in-cabin but even if they don't there is an easy workaround that I often use.

Because the wrap-around hip belt sticks out too much, I use a 2" wide luggage strap which I run lenghthwise and center thru the top handle. This takes just a few seconds and if I need to bring the bag down to 22 inches or even less, I simply tighten the strap a bit. The steel frame inside the bag bends as needed so there's a lot of leeway.

This is what I do when I'm far away on business for an extended period of time, but I want to take a short flight to go and hike with others in the group. I leave my checked bag and my most-used carry on at the hotel. If it's a short stint I use the Pro 40 but occasionally I have a few days off in which case I use the Vario. Note that the Vario has a detachable lid but I've never found it necessary to use it that way.

Great, thanks for measuring.  Good to know it can look pretty compact when done right.  I'll see what other packs come out over the next several months, but I'll keep the Vario 50+10 on my shortlist.  Maybe Deuter will bring out some new packs, as you alluded to.

starfly's gear list:starfly's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow