Sony ergonomics, menu system, controls and colors ...

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
PWPhotography Veteran Member • Posts: 8,790
Re: Sony ergonomics, menu system, controls and colors ...

saltydogstudios wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

saltydogstudios wrote:

I learned on a completely manual film camera - the Pentax K-1000. The battery powered the light meter and nothing else (the light meter was visible through the viewfinder to help you set exposure). It was a 100% manual camera and worked even without the battery - you just had to meter your exposure in another way.

So for me a camera must allow me to easily change these things (Primary)

• Aperture
  • Shutter Speed
  • ISO
  • White Balance

If you shoot in RAW, then this WB is irrelevant. I only shoot in RAW even with A9 in action photos.

WB is relevant if you shoot RAW. I believe what you mean to say is "capturing white balance in camera if you prefer to guess at the current lighting conditions in post production."

Hum, if you shoot in RAW that easily can adjust in temperature bar. I just leave in auto. But as I said easily you can assign to a button.

While I'm sure your workflow is perfectly valid, it does not invalidate other workflows.

https://medium.com/ice-cream-geometry/white-balance-learning-to-see-810335df427

• Exposure Preview (for switching between strobe & natural light)

These are fundamental to photography. Any camera that hides these from me is "unergonomic."

Other features that are fundamental to photography are (Secondary)

• Focus / Autofocus Mode
  • Focal Distance (lens dependent)
  • First/Rear Curtain Shutter
  • Drive Mode
  • Setting Custom White Balance
  • Image Size / Quality / Crop Mode

Nikon - has dedicated buttons for all of the Primary functions and many of the secondary functions. You can set a Custom menu screen to other options you want.

Fuji - has dedicated dials for most of the Primary functions and many of the secondary functions either have dedicated buttons or are accessible via the Quick menu.

Canon - is a bit harder to navigate but can do most of these with dedicated buttons.

Sony - has no dedicated buttons. You need the FN menu for most of the Primary and Secondary functions and there is no ability to create a Custom Menu.

You are incorrect. Sony bodies are highly customizable with those buttons and knobs that you can assign specific function.

Customizable is not the same as dedicated - almost by definition.

Why need dedicated? As customization gives more flexibility. Such as for me I simply don't need WB button for example that will be totally wasted, rather I can customize those buttons and knobs on my will.

Sony bodies have all those buttons for your primary or secondary function (or could be assigned), two wheels for aperture and shutter, dedicated ISO push (the right-push on the back big dial) instead of a button. It works the same way as Nikon for example, you press the ISO push, rotate the dial to adjust ISO while with Nikon you press the ISO button and rotate the back dial to adjust, what difference? As said White Balance is unnecessary if you shoot RAW but still can be assigned to a button. 'Exposure Preview' or 'Set Effect View' in Sony term can be assigned to a function button.

Personally I dislike excessive wheels and knobs that only slow down the operation, such as the dedicated ISO wheel in Fuji that I can change ISO in Sony body quicker (as quick as just assign to the big back dial that only needs one rotation step if you want). I even think the EC wheel is unnecessary on Sony bodies as I need explicit two steps to adjust EC and ISO so I prefer Nikon Z7/6's implementation to put a small EC and ISO button next to shutter. The space left can put a top LCD screen.

For example - I switch between studio and natural light a lot. I've had to memorize how to get to "Exposure Preview" on/off.

Assign to whatever button (C1 to C5 or others) for 'Set Effect Preview' On/Off toggle, very easy.

* speaking from experience only with the cameras I've used.

Appear you don't have much experience in Sony bodies.

Actually I have lots of experience on Sony bodies. I've owned the A7 for years.

Original A7? There are huge changes since. Actually Sony has many changes in every new generation body.

The problem is I also have experience on Canon, Fuji, Olympus and Nikon bodies and Sony isn't my main system.

I am 10-year Canon FF owner, used to own 5D, 5D2, 5D3, 1D3, 60D and EOS-M. Sony ergonomics and customization are way better than Canon DSLRs in my opinion. I tried Fuji cameras including GFX ones, never like those excessive wheels.

When switching to the Sony, there's always a lot more to remember. I've certainly gotten used to it, but it's not something that's easy to pick up.

Not me after 10-year Canon ownership I adopted Sony very easily and now actually feel foreign back in Canon. I still keep 1D3 and I never like Canon small dual-function buttons that even sometime my muscle memory didn't help and I had to leave my eye from OVF to ensure which combination I pressed. I can make those changes in your described much quicker and easier with Sony. I even can browse and change in menu in EVF that something I never can do in Canon DSLRs.

I remember a blog post from a Canon wedding photographer whose camera was lost in luggage and was forced to use his friend's Nikon D700. At first he was afraid that he'd struggle with the ergonomics, but he found his way around easy enough.

We all have different experiences. I got big lost with Fuji bodies. It's easier to pickup Nikon bodies in my experience. I like Nikon Z7/6 design in certain way such as small ISO and EC buttons next to shutter that hope Sony can borrow.

Now imagine that happened to someone with his friend's Sony - let's say your Sony with all your customizations. Lots of buttons and dials, none of them labeled, all of them customized.

I customized the same functions to the same buttons in A7r IV, III and A9. I don't need even leave eye from EVF to make all these changes.

I respect your opinions - but try not to insult people when responding to them.

We just have different experiences and preference. But seems true you don't have much experience in newer Sony bodies, that is not insult but opinion.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow