A7RIV for Video ... Yay or Nay?

Started 3 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sherman90 Forum Member • Posts: 54
A7RIV for Video ... Yay or Nay?

I'm a bit confused about the competence of the A7RIV as a video camera.

On the one hand, the new AF algorithms and eye-AF are fantastic and I can live with 8-bit for another generation.

On the other, in terms of raw footage quality, in their video review Chris and Jordan relegate A7RIV as a good video camera "in a pinch" because of the fact that sharp video is only achievable in Super 35 mode with a significant crop. With full sensor readout, detail suffers considerably due to the large sensor. They conclude that it should not be purchased as a video camera.

This appears to be contradicted by the DPREVIEW written review, which concludes that the A7RIV has "class-leading detail in 4K video".

The only side-by-side comparison video I found, as between the A7III and AR7IV, image quality appears comparable. In fact, the reviewer leans toward the A7RIV in most instances as having the sharper, more detailed image.

So what gives? Is the A7RIV at least as good as the A7III for video, in terms of detail especially? If so, it would make a nice second body with exceptional photographic power.

Sherman90's gear list:Sherman90's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony a7 III Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow