HOGAN: Z-AF tracking is on par with Sony, only one problem

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Geomaticsman Senior Member • Posts: 2,650
Re: HOGAN: Z-AF tracking is on par with Sony, only one problem

Verkku wrote:

Hogan has a very good article about Z -af tracking. And as he puts it:

" It’s not a performance problem—the 3D Tracking Nikon provides in mirrorless is very similar to Sony’s capability when used for focus-and-reframe use—it’s solely an implementation problem on the Nikon: too klutzy and step driven when it doesn’t need to be. "

The problem is that the activation of tracting is too complicated. The tracking itself is on par with Sony. So let's hope it will be corrected very soon.

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/2019-mirrorless-camera/october-december-2019-newsv/are-you-tracking-tracking.html

Although all we're getting from Nikon is silence as far as upcoming firmware updates, I'd like to think that Nikon is working overtime testing and retesting new C-AF algorithms. I was hoping the Z50 might show some indications as to where Nikon is heading in that regard, but the fact that it's no different that the Z6/Z7 might simply mean that Nikon doesn't want to tip their hand and they want to release updates for all three cameras simultaneously. Do I dare hope? 

-- hide signature --

Garfield

Geomaticsman's gear list:Geomaticsman's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm F4E FL ED VR Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow