How to use fill flash on the EM10 II?

Started 3 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Auf Reisen Contributing Member • Posts: 652
How to use fill flash on the EM10 II?

So I guess at some point I will have to bite the bullet and learn how to use flash.

For starters, I would like to learn how to use a little bit of fill flash in situations where I am taking pictures of people outside but their face is slightly in the shadows.

I roughly want to keep the exposure I would use without flash and simply add some light selectively. I thought I would use the in-camera flash for starters.

Problem is: I have no idea how to do that. With the flash at 0.0, the pictures come out looking like pictures from those horrible compact cameras from the 90s: sharp shadows, blue-ish highlights, just horrible. My current solution is to use the flash in A priority, with flash dialled to -2.0. Leads to somewhat better results, but they still look slightly unnatural.

I know that I will have to buy a good off-camera flash at some point if I want better results. But for the moment, I would like to actually understand what I'm doing. What does -2.0 mean? How is flash strength measured? How does the camera determine what amount of flash to use? And how does it expose the picture differently in the A/S modes if it knows I'm using flash? How do I figure out how much flash I will need for a picture before I bother my subjects?

Thanks for your help!

Auf Reisen's gear list:Auf Reisen's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +2 more
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow