Sony ergonomics, menu system, controls and colors ...

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
saltydogstudios Senior Member • Posts: 1,372
Re: Sony ergonomics, menu system, controls and colors ...

I learned on a completely manual film camera - the Pentax K-1000. The battery powered the light meter and nothing else (the light meter was visible through the viewfinder to help you set exposure). It was a 100% manual camera and worked even without the battery - you just had to meter your exposure in another way.

So for me a camera must allow me to easily change these things (Primary)

• Aperture
  • Shutter Speed
  • ISO
  • White Balance
  • Exposure Preview (for switching between strobe & natural light)

These are fundamental to photography. Any camera that hides these from me is "unergonomic."

Other features that are fundamental to photography are (Secondary)

• Focus / Autofocus Mode
  • Focal Distance (lens dependent)
  • First/Rear Curtain Shutter
  • Drive Mode
  • Setting Custom White Balance
  • Image Size / Quality / Crop Mode

Nikon - has dedicated buttons for all of the Primary functions and many of the secondary functions. You can set a Custom menu screen to other options you want.

Fuji - has dedicated dials for most of the Primary functions and many of the secondary functions either have dedicated buttons or are accessible via the Quick menu.

Canon - is a bit harder to navigate but can do most of these with dedicated buttons.

Sony - has no dedicated buttons. You need the FN menu for most of the Primary and Secondary functions and there is no ability to create a Custom Menu.

For example - I switch between studio and natural light a lot. I've had to memorize how to get to "Exposure Preview" on/off.

* speaking from experience only with the cameras I've used.

-- hide signature --

"Wait let me comb my hair and put on a tie."
It Gets Nerdy: https://medium.com/ice-cream-geometry
Sometimes I take photos: https://www.instagram.com/sodiumstudio/

saltydogstudios's gear list:saltydogstudios's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro Epson R-D1 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow