I finally got it

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 14,018
I got it years ago

Years ago I realized that smartphone cameras were improving dramatically.

About 6 years ago, I owned a decent smartphone that had what I considered, to be a decent camera.  It was around this time that Panasonic introduced the CM1 smartphone with a 1" sensor.  That intrigued me, so I bought one.    The image quality was truly impressive.

Unfortunately, Panasonic did not follow through with additional updated models (the CM10 doesn't count), nor did any other manufacturer take up the gauntlet of making a smartphone with a 1" sensor.

My current phone, a Xiaomi Mi Max 3, has a good camera, but not up to the standards of the CM1.  But it is still more than good enough for casual photography.

Smartphones have NOT replaced any of my cameras, only supplemented them.

The camera market is only returning to the levels it was at before the great digital revolution began.

Today's smartphone users have replaced the instamatic and polaroid users of film days.  Now gone also are those who used to buy the fixed lens film cameras.  They have pretty much universally migrated to smartphones.  Plus a lot of people in the film days were sold SLRs who did not need that level of camera for what they wanted.  Those people have also migrated to smartphones.

And why not?  The IQ is more than good enough for their needs, and they almost always have it with them.  Throw in the instant communication capabilities of the smartphone and you have a winner.  Only those of us who are truly interested in photography and the better IQ and versatility of ILC cameras are now buying "real" cameras.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +49 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow