Damn DAM !! Any info is appreciated . . .

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
contadorfan Senior Member • Posts: 2,400
Re: digikam

jack scholl wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

You might try the very capable, free digikam DAM. Then have a separate raw processor. That way in the future if you change your raw processor you don't also have to change your DAM.

https://www.digikam.org/

Henry,

I have downloaded digikam DAM and the documentation file. Cannot find a way to link DxO for post processing and then send the corrected file back to the DAM.

Did I miss this?

Thanks very much for any info you can provide . . .

Jack

In Windows, you first need to designate a program to be your default image opener (Right click, "Open With...," "Choose another app," pick your app, then check the "Always open with this app" box.)

So however you designate your default image app on a Mac, do that.

In digiKam,  select Settings...Configure Toolbar.  Select "Open With Default App" from the left side, drag it to your preferred placement on the right side.

When you want to work on an image, click on Open with Default App on the menu bar.  Work on your image in your default app.  When finished, save your revised image in your preferred folder/album (I prefer the source folder just to keep things simple).

Now. Either...

1. In digikam, find the folder/album in the list on the left, right click, choose Refresh.  The image will now appear in digiKam.

Or...

2. You can set digiKam to refresh the album automatically whenever there is a change in the original file using an outside app.  The image will show up on its own in digiKam.  For some reason, the developers disabled this feature because they felt it caused problems when there are too many directories (or whatever.  The discussion was over my head, technically.)  But I find it handy to keep this setting turned on so I don't have to refresh a folder every time I switch to the default app for work. It works well when I save the new image in the source folder, at least.  Here's the setting:

-- hide signature --

"Never let good clouds go to waste." -- Margaret Bourke-White

contadorfan's gear list:contadorfan's gear list
Canon ELPH 115 IS Sony a99 II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow