I finally got it

Started 3 days ago | Discussions thread
AnthonyL Veteran Member • Posts: 3,037
Re: 'glad you finally got it!

Smaug01 wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

I am one of those grumpy old men who always said that smartphone photography was just a fad. Something that is only good enough for selfies and photos of your lunch to post on twitter or facebook. For anything else, you absolutely needed a real camera.

Well, it seems I was wrong.

I recently replaced my four year old Motorola Moto X Pure with a brand new Google Pixel 3a, and was shocked at how good the Pixel camera was. It seems there has been so much improvement in smartphone cameras, that they are now useful for more than just documenting where you parked your car.

Yes, the latest ones are amazing, largely due to the software that accompanies the camera/phone. (computational photography)

I recently opted not to take my camera kit with me and just use the phone on an overseas trip and the main thing I missed was the 400m for some bird shots.

I still don't think anyone will be using a smartphone to shoot a wedding, for commercial photography, for sports/action photography, or for fashion photography, but this device is now the ideal choice for travel photography, vacation photography, family photography, or for casual snapshots. And lets be honest, those subjects are around 90% of what amateur photographers shoot.

...with the caveat that you like the image processing the camera applies and the shutter lag is OK with you. My LG G6 is now getting old enough that it's getting laggy. I probably need to de-fragment it or something. Too bad, as the standard wide angle lens + super wide angle lens is a great combo.

On my not very expensive dual-sim Moto G6+ I can go into manual mode and setting an approximate focus distance etc substantially reduced shutter lag to the extent I got some semi-decent shots from a moving car which proved problematic in auto mode.

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow