I finally got it

Started 3 days ago | Discussions thread
PhotoFactor Veteran Member • Posts: 3,221
Re: I finally got it

Lee Jay wrote:

Chato wrote:

Marty is an enthusiast as well.

What's he's saying us that most of us often just take "snapshots" of where we happen to be or something we happen to notice, and that the modern cell phone cameras do just fine in those situations.

I think they don't, but it's looking like I'm going to give up my pocket compact sometime in the first half of next year in favor of a Samsung Galaxy S11. The camera array looks to be *at least* an ultrawide (13mm-16mm equivalent), a 108MP 1/1.33 inch 28mm-equivalent main camera (if you treat it as a 12MP, it's a 3x zoom so 28-84 equivalent), and a folded-optics telephoto of around 120-150mm equivalent. There might even be more as the renders show five sensor-like devices plus a LASER AF sensor and an LED flash.

We'll see how that range works for casual "snapshots". When I'm in the "not that serious" mood, I carry an 18-135 (29-216 equivalent) on my SLR. So, the new phone will have wider but not as long.

Just a potential warning on Samsung. IMHO their processing tends to overcook a bit (I also feel this way about the iPhone but the 11 isn't as bad). Samsungs have great physical hardware but also don't update their OS's as often as Google. Google has IMHO better software and updates but their cameras have fewer focal options. But IMHO the Google default processing is the best.

PhotoFactor's gear list:PhotoFactor's gear list
Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony a6000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow