I finally got it

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 14,428
Smartphones were always good enough for some things

Marty4650 wrote:

The Pixel 3a has one of the best cameras in any smartphone.

There are smartphones with better cameras. Most advances are in the areas of low light performance, dynamic range retention, fake background blur, and multiple lenses/sensors for a range of focal lengths; and the 3a definitely falls behind in at least two of those areas. Still, even the best smartphones can't do what some very modest cameras can do ... and vice-versa, of course. That's why it's wise to use the right tool for the intended purpose.

I have no plans to stop using my Olympus EM1, Panasonic GX85, or Panasonic LX100. I just realized I will be using them a bit less, and using my phone a bit more, because the phone's image quality is certainly good enough for many types of shooting.

And previously I never thought that would be possible.

What was so bad about your 2015 Motorola Moto X Pure?

Setting aside the above recent advances, images from my 2011 Galaxy SII have always been good enough for many purposes. Below is one taken today, where I just touched the shutter icon, nothing else:

Surely, even your old phone camera is much better than mine, though both have been superseded by improved models. Nevertheless, I continue to use dedicated cameras for the things that any phone from any manufacturer is not well suited to do, or not capable of doing at all. Not yet, anyway.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow