I finally got it

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 55,002
Re: I finally got it

Dexter75 wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

I still don't think anyone will be using a smartphone to shoot a wedding, for commercial photography, for sports/action photography, or for fashion photography, but this device is now the ideal choice for travel photography, vacation photography, family photography, or for casual snapshots.

I regularly use a focal length range of 8mm fisheye (sometimes panoramas using the fisheye) through 400mm equivalent or more for family and travel photography. I have used over 1200mm equivalent for that.

I could never be happy with 28mm equivalent for much of anything. Without focal length range photography is as much fun for me as oral surgery. If I were stuck with a single prime, I'd rather not shoot at all.

You may not agree, but the fact remains... a lot of people are perfectly happy with their smartphone cameras, and new camera sales are feeling the pressure of that.

I don't care about "a lot of people" as I'm not them - I'm an enthusiast. I actually care about this stuff.

Two examples (of hundreds) from a recent trip.

My wife's Galaxy S8:

My SLR:

Phone:

SLR:

This is a silly comparison because your wife's phone lacks the proper equipment to create the same photo.

Right!

The same way that your camera with a 70-200mm lens could not compete with the wide angle lens on aa smartphone. Get one of the many telephoto lenses made for smartphones and try this again.

Why?  The whole point is that current cell phones don't have this capability, and clip-on lenses don't either (they're all primes).  Also, almost no one uses them because you're back to carrying something that doesn't fit in your pocket.

I can attach my cell phone camera to my telescope but it isn't any more convenient than attaching my SLR to my telescope.  Less, in fact.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow