Embarrasing dog challenge

Started Dec 2, 2019 | Discussions thread
OP fferreres Veteran Member • Posts: 5,971
Re: Embarrasing dog challenge

barb_s wrote:

Regarding the voting.... The 1/2 star voter on the 3rd place photo gave low marks to many, including the 1st 2. He/She gave no 5's and many 1's and 1.5's but seemed to like some of the nicer photo's like the 10th place entry, but the majority were just low votes. That voter's opinions were just as valid as others. It wasn't someone voting down the good ones.

They well know to reserve one account or two, just to downvote. They well know that voting 1/2 on some photos, then 5 on one or two, will hint at what's going on. If the voting is unbiased, you will see a normal picky voted but honest, upvote very good ones and always downvote very bad ones. Which I am sure it's not the case here: voting 1/2 star in the 3rd place photo is perfect sniping because if you look at that photo, there's absolutely nothing 1/2 star. It's not debatable that that photo is not the ultimate expression of a bad photo, or an F- photographically. Can we do anything? I don't know. I am sure an honest voter would have 1/2 stars and 1 stars and 4 stars, etc. but they will correlate with photo quality, not personal agenda. So we cannot rule them out.

I also was somewhat disturbed to read a post on the 1st place entry saying they and their friends would all be voting 5 on it.

Is that vote rigging? Or is that someone really liking that style of a photograph? While I do not condone having friend groups vote up a photo, it appears those voters did vote on others, and gave pretty high marks for some as well.

Is it really 6 guys, or 1 guy? We may never find out. How do you call on 6 friends to come, register here, and vote certain photo 5, and then upvote to a much lesser extend some other losing photos to dissimulate? Why woudl another voter come and pick the best photo and rate it 1/2 start (that's a 1 in a scale of 1 to 10...that's mean and obviously intended to bring it down).

I do not think the winner should be disqualified due to someone really liking their entry - and I do not think the submitter was related to the voting block- so it remains 1st place.

Me neither. I really don't know. But I can tell you it can undermining the self-confidence or joy of some starting out that may believe their photographs aren't good enough, and that there's little incentive to share good photos. A good photo will be getting these 1/2 stars, and it goes on record that the photo was ranked lower.

Personally, had I been a voter, I think I would have given that one a high mark. And I liked entry 2 a lot.

With that sad, have commented back to the person that was very excited about the 1st place dog. I can't contact the 7 '5 star' voters to see where they live, or if they are friends with the submitter, and I doubt I'll get a reply but I did let them know they have not helped in any way.

It's nobody's fault, and especially not yours. Sorry if I was harsh in the comment. I just want the ones that posted great examples, and shared their valuable time and work, to not feel bad if they get ranked 38 or 3rd or 7. The resulting scores reflect more the interest of banded voters and some people with multiple accounts.

I also think #1 and #2 are really bad, compared to #3 for example.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow