SL1 to M6 Mark II or RP

Started 3 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BiscuitoftheSea New Member • Posts: 33
SL1 to M6 Mark II or RP

Hello -

I'm currently debating upgrading from my current SL1 to either a better APS-C camera or a cheap, FF camera.

The reason I'm looking to upgrade is 85% of my photos are indoor shots of my family / kids in my house. Our lighting isn't the best, and I regularly have to shoot at ISO 3200 or 6400 in order to maintain a reasonable shutter speed (I find 1/60 to be the minimum reasonable level for what I do. Even that I wish was significantly higher).

Based on some test images, the noise levels in shots on the M6 Mark II are significantly reduced in ISO 6400 vs. the SL1 test shots. If anyone has experience with a similar upgrade, it would help certainly be appreciated.

I've also considered moving to a mirrorless FF like the RP. The reason I'm hesitant though is because two of my three lenses are EF-S, meaning I wouldn't see much benefit as they would basically only expose a APS-C sized image onto the FF sensor. In the future, I imagine I could purchase a few of the new RF lenses or some EF at least. Right now, they are too expensive.

I don't have great lenses, but they suit my needs at the moment:

Kit lens (18-55mm 3.5f - 4.6f)
50mm 1.8 (this is the only FF lens I have)
Canon 55-250mm f4-5.6 II

I suppose the other question is, if I purchase a lens with a f2.8 or less (like the 17-55mm Canon for $550), would that improve my indoor shooting more than an upgrade to the actual body? Is moving from f3.5 - f4.6 to f2.8 going to be more dramatic than moving from an SL1 to a M6 Mark II or the RP?

One other note - I shoot in RAW and can do a decent job of removing noise from high ISO, but it leaves the images looking very soft for my taste. I also crop most photos, probably 50% because...well I guess I just blow at on the fly framing.

Thanks for any help.

Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 (EOS 100D)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
KEG
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
KEG
MAC
MAC
KEG
MAC
KEG
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow